The Navarra Museum, founded in 1965 in housed in the ancient Hospital of Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia, located in old Pamplona. From the original construction only remain the facade and the church, both from the 16th century.
The gallery shows the rich Navarrese Heritage, from Prehistoric times to the present. The collections it contains were begun by the Comisión de Monumentos Históricos y Artísticos de Navarra (Commission of Historic and Artistic Monuments of Navarra), established in 1860.
Among the variety of pieces contained in the gallery, there is a ritual pottery goblet from the Iron Age that came from the Navarrese Cortes. The Roman Age is represented by a mosaic of Baco´s Triumph from Mendigorria. From the Roman Period is also a funerary monument dicovered in Gastiain which was part of the tomb of Ania Baturra, daughter of Viriato, who died at 30. The images depicted on the monument connect with the religious beliefs of the Native Basque Tradition.
Navarra, being part of the Santiago Route, treasures many Romanesque works of art. From this period, among other pieces, are the Capitals from the facade of the old Romanesque Cathedral of Pamplona and from the Cloister of the same temple.
The Museum also keeps many examples of Muslim Art, among them, an Spanish-Arab ivory box
from Medinat Az-Zahira´s studio.
Gothic Style is represented by many paintings, such as the frescoes from the Refectory of Pamplona´s Cathedral that depict Christ´s Passion (14th century).
The Museum´s Renaissance collection includes an sculpture made of walnut that represents Penitent San Jerónimo (16th century) which originally belonged to Barbazana Chapel, located in Pamplona´s Cathedral.
The Baroque Art section features a "Policlíptico" that depicts the lifes of Christ and the Virgin, created by Jacques Francart in 1612.
The work of Francisco de Goya, the most renowned spanish artist of the 19th century, is represented by the Portrait of San Adrián.
The gallery also displays works of Contemporary Art, such as "Aquelarre" by Julio Martín-Caro from 1966.